Day Trippers...Enjoying the adventures
Slideshow Image 1 slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 4

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Chicken Enchilada Recipe

Our Favorite Enchilada Recipe

2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts
4 Tablespoons of butter
1 large onion finely chopped
3 cups sour cream
1 bag of loose leaf frozen spinach
2 - 4 oz cans of green chilies, drained and chopped
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon of cumin
Course Kosher salt to taste
12 tortillas (wheat, white, or corn)
6 oz of Monterey Jack cheese grated


Cook chicken in oven, cool slightly then shred. Set aside. You can use left over chicken.

Melt butter, add onion and cook slowly until translucent. Add cumin and salt. Then add sour cream, chilies, and spinach, and milk.

Add half of the sauce to the shredded chicken and mix well. I usually add some cheese to the chicken as well.

Extras I assemble to add as fillings for tortilla: black beans, brown rice or yellow rice (basmati seasoned with saffron) corn, grilled vegis (summer), squash roasted in the oven with olive oil and cumin, salt, and pepper seasoning.

I take tortillas add chicken, fillings, some cheese and then place in lightly greased casserole dish. Top with extra sour cream sauce and enchilada sauce and cheese. Cook at 350 until bubbly and browned on top. (About 35 minutes)

Easily made vegetarian by omitting chicken and making it with rice, beans, and squash or vegis.
Dairy free by using Tofutti Sour Cream and soy milk and vegan butter alternative. I skip the cheese for dairy free.

When you add lots of extras this can make a few pans and it freezes well.

Enjoy...hope you give them a try! I'll add pictures some day when I make them again. I'm on a dairy free diet so I haven't been up for making them lately.

1 comments:

arjohnson79 said...

Jerad and I LOVE Mexican food and probably have enchiladas once every 3 weeks or so whether it's at our favorite Mexican restaurant or if I make them. Your recipe looks delicious...I'll have to try them!